Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Spring semester officially done! GAME TIME!!!

The last two days I've been living in my room, making up for lost sleep since freakin' February! Even though only half of my grades have been processed, I have a feeling my GPA for my first semester will come out to a 3.8. Damn B ruining my happy fun time 4.0.

Yep, breaking commitments, sleeping until 3pm, watching horrible movies on Netflix, and eating food which will drastically reduce my life. Also, to get me more inspired to update this blog when I can't fathom why anyone would want to read the braingoop I leave here, I think I'll add fun pictures and captions.

Oh, also... if you enjoy retrogaming, well I have an early Xmas gift for you. A double review because I feel like it. Retron3 and Mother 1+2 English Patch


Retron3

For those who enjoy NES, your pretty lucky. Emulation has pretty much been fully covered on all platforms and even within other higher tier gaming systems like Animal Crossing for the GameCube. NES was my first step into gaming, while my younger generation had Atari and ColecoVision, I feel quite lucky to have been born in 1987, the time of NES awesomeness...

My lady love of my adolescence was SNES and so much so, I even have the utilities to rip from my own cartridges. My collection of eighty seven games is still around, and I make it a point to play them somewhat often.

Sega Genesis was the cool kid console on my block, and I did get it the year it came out, but the games didn't have the same love my SNES games had. Don't get me wrong, Altered Beast; Sonic and Knuckles; Shining Force; and Phantasy Star were fun and took much of my time, but I must have spent entire summers trying to get my characters in Secret of Mana to level 99 or in Super Mario RPG to 30 (stupid level caps).

Well for those who saved their cartridges, or have flashcarts like this for NES or this for Genesis or this for SNES, you have the ability to play all three of those games on one system. Introducing the Retron 3!
I bought one of these puppies a while back and gave it as a gift to another retrogaming friend since I already had all my systems. It played everything perfectly, even Starfox, MegaMan X, Super Gameboy and even a tower made of a GameGenie with Sonic the Hedgehog 3 in Sonic and Knuckles. I have only one gripe with this product, the colors onscreen were a bit brighter and/or washed out. Other than that, everything was perfect. You can also plug in any control, even those NES guns, and there is S-Video which I didn't use... it might have helped with the minor color problem in the Genesis.

You like? You buy? Well here's the link!

I can vouch for all the websites and products personally.


Mother 1+2 English translation patch

The awesomely red Tomato of Earthbound Central and from Mother 3 translation fame has personally retranslated Mother 1 from the original Japanese. This translation is much different from Earthbound Zero, also, this translation comes with the "Easy Ring" which doubles EXP and lowers encounter rates... hell it might also boost money gained and tuck you in at night for how amazing it makes it! I have fallen in love with Mother 1. The first few times I played it, it was just a painful grind, nothing was all that fun and I just wanted to get from point A to point B without fighting an assload of monsters who could either be destroyed in a few seconds or took all my damn PP just to kill and keep alive.

Mother 2 otherwise known as Earthbound didn't get the same treatment. It's items have been translated as well as PSI, everything else is in Japanese. There are really good reasons for this though, basically, the game was flawed while porting and it would take someone without a life to hack, and translate and fix everything. It isn't as easy as taking a script and dumping it in, everything in the game is basically in text format except chipsets, character sets and effects and all that code is also in the ingame text...

Alright go forth and game, and remember my friends, stay 16 bit ~.^

1 comment:

  1. never played earthbound but always heard great things about it, now that i have some free time, maybe ill find it somewhere =]

    ReplyDelete